AEDs in Police and Law Enforcement Agencies
As a police or law enforcement officer, you are often the first responder in a cardiac emergency arriving before emergency medical personnel. Unfortunately, this scenario is not rare: Approximately 365,000 people in North America fall victim to sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) every year. The only effective treatment for SCA is shock from an automated external defibrillator (AED), administered as soon as possible. The life you save with an AED could be that of a resident, or even your fellow colleague, between the risks of the job and the levels of stress, among the highest-risk groups for SCA.
The Life-Saving Importance of AEDs
Here are some of the reasons why more and more property management companies are investing in AEDs:
- Defibrillation within 3-minute of sudden cardiac arrest increases the chances of survival to 70%. Shock within one minute of collapse raises the survival rate to 90%.
- Calling 999 is necessary but the wait for first responders may take too long. The average call-to-shock time in a typical community is 9-minute.
- OSHA now recommends AEDs in the workplace, and recent legislation may require your workplace to provide them.
Why a Powerheart® is Right for You
ZOLL designed the Powerheart® AED to make rescue as simple as possible for lay rescuers. Once the defibrillation pads are applied, the AED determines if a shock is required and administers one if it’s needed.
Our AEDs also provide:
- Patented Rescue Ready® technology that self-checks all main AED components (battery, hardware, software, and pads) daily. The AED completes a partial charge of the high-voltage electronics weekly, and a full charge monthly.
- RescueCoach™ voice prompts that guide you during a rescue situation.
- A helpful text screen that runs in tandem with the voice prompts, especially useful for rescuers in noisy environments. The screen also provides valuable rescue information to professional rescuers when they arrive on the scene.
- Variable escalating energy that determines the electrical impedance (resistance level) of each patient and customizes the energy level delivered. If more than one shock is necessary, our proprietary STAR®biphasic software escalates the energy to deliver therapy at an appropriate, higher level.
- Extensive warranty is covering the Powerheart® AED, the Intellisense® lithium battery and the Intellisense® Defibrillation pads.
Find out today how your police department, law enforcement agency, and community can become heart safe.