AEDs in Schools and Athletic Programs
Each year, we needlessly lose 7,000 young persons to sudden cardiac arrest (SCA). However, most schools cannot afford to have an MD or Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) on school grounds during school hours and after-school activities, but they can afford to have easy-to-use automated external defibrillators (AEDs) with voice prompts to walk users through the simple steps necessary in life-saving defibrillation and CPR. Every school should have an AED, especially a school or college with athletic programs. Schools that have needed a portable AED now say they can’t imagine being without it. That’s why so many have carried out fundraising and sponsorship campaigns to keep their children, staff, and visitors heart safe.
The Life-Saving Importance of AEDs
Here are some of the reasons why more and more schools and athletic programs are investing in AEDs and making early defibrillation a part of their emergency response plans:
- Defibrillation within 3-minute of sudden cardiac arrest increases the chances of survival to 70%. Shock within one minute of collapse raises the survival rate to 90%.
- Calling 999 is necessary but the wait for first responders may take too long. The average call-to-shock time in a typical community is 9-minute.
- Recent legislation throughout the country may require your school district or university to provide them.
- Universities in the US such as Notre Dame, Utah State and others have successfully implemented AED programs and saved lives.
Why a Powerheart is Right for Your School, Sports Centres and Gyms
Our best-selling AED model for schools is the Powerheart AED G3 Plus. Schools are one of Cardiac Science’s primary focuses. We are committed to making school AED programs successful and we’ve assisted with AED implementations in schools.
Our AEDs also provide:
Find out today how your school or athletic program can become heart safe.
- Patented Rescue Ready® technology that self-checks all main AED components (battery, hardware, software, and pads) daily. The AED completes a partial charge of the high-voltage electronics weekly, and a full charge monthly.
- RescueCoach™ voice prompts that guide you during a rescue situation.
- A helpful text screen that runs in tandem with the voice prompts, especially useful for rescuers in noisy environments. The screen also provides valuable rescue information to professional rescuers when they arrive on the scene.
- Variable escalating energy that determines the electrical impedance (resistance level) of each patient and customizes the energy level delivered. If more than one shock is necessary, our proprietary STAR®biphasic software escalates the energy to deliver therapy at an appropriate, higher level.
- A 7-year warranty that is one of the longest in the industry. We also provide a 4-year, full operational guarantee on the Intellisense® lithium battery used with AED G3 Plus defibrillators.